Hwy 10, West of Mandan

Hwy 10, West of Mandan

Tuesday, April 14, 2015

McKenzie Slough

I took advantage reasonably warm temperatures this weekend to get in an early morning ride.  Starting at 5:00 a.m. on Saturday, I headed east on Highway 10 into a slight headwind.  It was the first lengthy ride for the AWOL, which so far has proven to be an excellent bike.

By daybreak I arrived on the outskirts of McKenzie Slough, well known locally as a birder’s paradise.  Both sides of the road offered pleasant views of water and standing cattails from last year’s growth.  However, on this ride, it was the sound that I won’t soon forget.  Birds of all sorts were announcing the sunrise, and the volume of their chirps, squawks, quacks, and screams easily drowned out the hum of my tires for about a half mile.  It was a super cool experience.

(Daybreak at McKenzie Slough)

No comments:

Post a Comment